Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Something sweet for Valentine's Day

Sadie and I baked chocolate chip cookies on Sunday. Sadie added all the ingredients to the standing mixer and also managed to eat quite a few of chips before they got into the dough.
homemade cookie
My perfect chocolate chip cookie is mostly chips and just a little crispy, buttery cookie to hold it together.
mmmm
Here's how to make my special, best ever chocolate chip cookies:
chocalee chips!
1. Buy a bag of Nestle chocolate chips.
2. Use the Toll House cookie recipe on the back of the bag with the following changes:
A. Omit the baking soda
B. Omit the salt.
C. Use salted butter (do not use unsalted butter and definitely DO NOT use margarine)
D. Add 50% more chips than the recipe calls for...it calls for 2 cups, so use 3 cups!
3. Follow the recipe as given. It says bake for 9 to 11 minutes...in my oven, they are done at 9 and would be burnt by 11.
If you eat them when they are still warm, you will get covered in melty chips!
messy aftermath of warm cookies

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Sadie stay up late on Sunday after all that chocolate? I remember the truffle episode over the holidays. I'm glad that you have such good helper in the kitchen, Ann.

Anonymous said...

I think that you definitely have a little cookie fan there :)

Anonymous said...

I hope my mommy makes some of those for my daddy!

-Samuel

kb said...

A friend of ours believes she makes the best chocolate chip cookies, although they're always quite flat. We were thinking they come out so flat because she melts the butter, instead of creaming it into the sugar. Any thoughts on whether we're right about the culprit? I think she puts in baking soda.

Ann said...

Baking soda seems to make the cookies sort of "cakey" rather than crisp. I bet the reason your friend's cookies are flat is the melted butter...creaming the butter and sugar creates a structure for the batter to form on. Melted butter would lead to a more liquid batter.

kb said...

Thanks! I wouldn't have the patience to test all the variables (plus there would be too many cookies in the house!). There are many baked goods this woman makes that she believes people swoon over, when that's really not the case. I don't dare say anything though :)