Thursday, January 11, 2007

"Kriffin's ovah! Hanukkah ovah!"

I asked Sadie a couple of days ago if she would sing "Jingle Bells" for me. She replied, "No, Kriffin's ovah!" but then she did sing it. She also saw me lighting a candle and told me, "Stop Mommy! Hanukkah ovah!". It wasn't a Hanukkah candle, just a regular one.
reindeer food
Even though the holidays are "ovah!", I wanted to share this picture. She's sprinkling reindeer food on the yard at Nana and Bob-Bob's house on Christmas Eve. The reindeer food is a project she made at daycare...oatmeal, glitter and confetti mixed together and put in a babyfood jar. "I mixed it! I scoop it! Spinkle it!"

Sadie's language is amazing. Looking back to last January, when she had about 10 words and wasn't combining any of them, it's hard to believe how much this has developed in a year. We're amazed with what she can express verbally. Two nights ago, in the bath, she announced, apropos of nothing, "I have Mommy and Daddy. Baby Samool has Beth and Jake!"

Many of the blends still gave Sadie trouble. S blends are particularly hard for her to pronounce, as are the sounds cl- and fl-. But this is very typical for her age. Other than those, her speech is quite clear and easy to understand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for thinking of us Sadie!

-Jake, Beth, and Samool

Sarah B. said...

I agree -- I remember being amazed by Sadie's language skills when we met at playgroup this summer. I think I even went home and told my husband, "We met an 18 month old speaking in complete sentences!"

GEB said...

Sadie's language IS amazing--and so fun to hear about.

We've also found that names and relations between people are a highly motivating conversation topic. Similar to your bath story, we were surprised to hear E pipe up from the backseat one night, after we'd told her the toy she was playing with was from her Aunt Susan, "Doozan. Abby's mommy. Matt-mew's mommy."