Monday, January 22, 2007

Art and Talk

"snake, sadie and cat" by sadie

Sadie did this drawing on Saturday morning. It is "a snake and Sadie and a cat!"

Two interesting examples of developing language and word understanding:

1. While building with legos with Daddy and Aunt Lolly: "My put this byock ovah-neath the other one!" (Well, since there is underneath, there certainly should be an overneath, right?)

2. This morning:
Sadie: Mommy, my have coffee?
Me: No, it's not for children. When you are a teenager, you can have coffee.
Sadie: (pauses and thinks for minute) When my a tee-ager, my have tea!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ann, your Dad is right. You should have been an interpreter at the UN. I'm convinced that your ability to understand Sadie's sentences encourages her to communicate more. If you kept saying "What?", Sadie would probably get frustrated.

Anonymous said...

I love the Art work! Sadie is so funny! Love Nana

Anonymous said...

Great generalization from underneath to overneath...next the past tense generalizations such as walk becomes walked so have becomes haved. Watching through you youngin's (Dan, Ann, Jake and Beth) eyes brings the joys of child development all back.
N.O'Neill

Alexandra said...

I think I'm in love. Sadie says the cutest things!

Anonymous said...

Hee! I love Sadie's logic! Good thing that there isn't a beer-age, however ...