Monday, November 06, 2006

Being Observed

We usually use this blog for Sadie updates for her family and friends, in person and all over the internet, so the entries tend to be photos and short anecdotes. But, since I've committed to daily posts this month, I feel like I've freed myself up to do some more writing.
Watching Polenta
(Sadie watches dinner baking in the oven)

Being the parent of a toddler is very different from being the parent of a baby. Sadie is incredibly aware of everything going on around her and is very interested in whatever Mommy and Daddy are doing. This means I have to constantly be aware. Yesterday, Sadie and I were grocery shopping and she looked at me and said, "Daddy says 'fingahs outta mouth' Mommy!". Daddy does tell Sadie to take her fingers out of her mouth, but this time, I had my finger in my mouth (I was biting my cuticles) and Sadie corrected me.

She is always watching and listening. At Halloween, another mother asked me if I had made Sadie's costume. I laughed and said, "Absolutely not!". I said the phrase once, but it must have caught Sadie's ear. Now, she is saying "Ah-sa-looly Not!"
Spinning Salad
(Sadie helps out by spinning the salad greens)

Dan was raking the lawn on Sunday and Sadie and I helped for a little while. It was chilly out and I wanted to take her back inside, but she couldn't get enough of working with Daddy and helping with her little rake. Even this morning, she wanted to "freep wif Daddy". She has a little trouble with initial S-blends, so "freep" is her approximation of sweep, which is what she thought we were doing.

It's amazing how closely she watches us and copies us. I love it, but it's also a bit daunting to realize that she's watching all the time and that she'll learn about how to live in the world from watching what we do, how we speak, how we treat other people. It's a big responsibility.

Speaking of which, tomorrow is Election Day. Dan will be taking Sadie to the polls with him in the morning. Please remember to vote.

3 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

Heh, I was planning a post on voting tomorrow, for the same reasons as you have just discussed. I really want Jack to see me voting, to know that we vote, and to know the importance of it. Like Sadie, he is a little sponge right now! (I love her little hat!)

Anonymous said...

Like everyone, I enjoy seeing pictures of Sadie. However, I love to hear about Sadie's world and how she is relating to it. Keep up the great work with your postings, Ann.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that my previous "comments" didn't arrive. What I wanted to convey was that we think Sadie is wonderful because you, her parents are wonderful and you care about her and who she is so much. We love reading these beautiful descriptions of her growth, development and her amazing personality. Can these be written down to be saved? They are special . Much love, Grandma and Grandpa