Thursday, April 26, 2007

From the Archives

IMG_8212.JPG

This is an entry I wrote in early March and then forgot to post.

Yesterday evening, Sadie and I were at the supermarket buying some last minute things for our trip to Disney World. One thing I got was a dark chocolate/espresso chocolate bar for Dan and I to have for the drive to Boston. Sadie didn't notice it when I put it in the cart but she did notice it when I put it up on the belt to buy it.

"It's chocalee, Mommy?"
"Yes, it's a chocolate bar for grown-ups."

That seemed to satisfy her but as soon as we got home, she began rummaging through the bags to find the "chocalee bar!". She was desparate to eat it and no excuse I gave was good enough. Soon, she had dissolved into tears. Even the offer of an M&M, which is usually met with glee, didn't help.

Finally, I had an idea, "It's spicy chocolate, Sadie, you wouldn't like it."
She looked at me and thought for a minute, "Is not picy candy! Is just a little bit flavah-ful. I want it."

Now, this is exactly, word for word, what I say to Sadie if I want her to try something that she has deemed spicy. I do say, "It's not spicy, it's just a little bit flavorful!" I can't argue with my own words!

The whole matter finally ended with Sadie helping me make some toast and scrambled eggs for her dinner.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob Bob wants to know if Sadie ever got to sample the dark chocolate and whether she liked it since that's my favorite. You have to love Sadie's vocabulary.

Ann said...

Sadie loves dark chocolate...but I didn't give her any of the dark chocolate with espresso beans! Too much caffeine for a little one.

Anonymous said...

Ah! I'll have to remember "flavourful" the next time I get, "I can't eat that, Mummy - it's too spicy!"

Kristin said...

Sadie is too cute! I love hearing about the conversations that she has with you.

Jake said...

Beth got me a bar of dark chocolate seasoned with cayenne pepper. You don't taste the pepper until the end, and it's surprisingly spicy. I'm not sure I like it. Should I give Sadie a nibble next time I see her?